Creating a new site
Students in certain courses and/or academic programs are allowed by their instructors to have one DS site here to showcase the process and products of your undergraduate scholarship. (For background on this DS multisite, see here.)
For 2017-18, the new site template looks like this, which you will see when you get a site following the instructions below!
- First, login to any DS site you have used to date, following instructions on the Log In help page if needed.
- Now, come back to this page, and click here to get your own site! Fill out the info below as follows:
- Site Name: Enter your Lewis & Clark username exactly as it appears before @lclark.edu. For example, if your email is [email protected], enter jsmith in the box. You won’t be able to change this later. (Note: if your username is only three characters [e.g., [email protected]], you’ll need to add a one (“1”) to your site name, i.e., abc1, as site names must have a minimum of four characters. If your username has a hyphen, you’ll need to get rid of the hyphen, i.e. anderson-jones would become andersonjones.)
- Site Title: Enter an interesting, informative, and professional site title of about 2-4 words. You can change it later if you want more time to think about it.
- Site Categories: Select the correct category for your site.
- Site Description: Provide a 1-2 sentence description of your site; you can change this later as needed. [Fall 2017 note: there appears to be a bug in saving your site description! If you need to change this later, go to Settings > Site Categories in your dashboard.]
- Privacy: Default is “Visitors must have a login”; we recommend you start with this. Then, when you are ready for your site to go public, you can change this later to “Public” or “Search Engine Blocked,” or you may select these right now if you want your site to go public immediately.
- Now click Create Site. You’ll get the opportunity to go to your new site.
- Time to setup your site! (Want an easier and more comprehensive way to setup your site? Do the DS Training Site Admin Level badge! It will introduce you to all the basics of administering your new site via six required and one optional Skills badge.)