Would you like others to know when you’ve posted or added a page to your site?
Subscriptions are email notifications to interested readers; see here for details. Activating this Jetpack module will allow your readers to subscribe to (receive email notification of) new posts and comments. Once you’ve activated that module, here are three ways you can invite readers to subscribe:
- You can place the Blog Subscriptions (Jetpack) subscriptions widget on your sidebar so readers can readily sign up to receive notifications. See the Demo site’s sidebar, for instance.
- You can create a Subscribe page and enter shortcode for your readers to sign up on the page.
- You can activate the Better Follow Button for Jetpack plugin, which places a nice little widget on the bottom right corner of every page on your site; this widget can be customized via the BFBJ Settings dashboard link. This can also be found on the Demo site.
If your readers use the WordPress.com Reader, they can add you like this:
- On WordPress.com Reader, click Manage next to Followed Sites.
- Click the blue Follow Site button, then enter the URL to your site…it’s that easy! They can decide whether or not to receive email notifications, but your new posts will always show up on their Reader.
In addition to social media and subscription modules, Jetpack has a nifty Related Posts module that places related content on your site underneath each of your posts; this allows readers to readily navigate to related items. And if you really want to broadcast posts, consider the WordPress Firehose.