In the Sharing Skill you will acquire tools to connect your site to online content elsewhere, enabling you to share your and other digital scholarship.
- The Sharing Skill is recommended, but not required to earn the Admin Level badge.
- Many sharing options require that you activate Jetpack on your site; see here for help.
- Have you Completed the Plugin Skill and activated three plugins on your site? If not, go here and come back later.
You will create loads of excellent content, posts, thoughts, projects, and papers on your DS site. But there are so many websites out there, they are in danger of being overlooked by the online community. Here we will give you a few tools to connect your site to larger networks if you so desire.
To earn this Skill, follow the below steps, then follow the submission requirements at bottom.
- Choose and complete at least three of the below six sharing options that feel useful and you could imagine using in future. All six include links to related help pages; those with * require that you activate Jetpack.
- *Comments: Enable others to comment on your posts using these instructions. Be sure to go through the initial steps carefully! Note also that comments will not automatically appear on posts you have already created; edit each post to do this.
- *Contact: Create a Contact Me page using the instructions on this page. This will enable readers to message you safely. Make sure to add this to your primary menu.
- Press This: Press This is a bookmarklet you can install on your browser to quickly post anything you see online; see here for instructions.
- RSS Feeds: First, read about RSS feeds here. You can add an RSS feed from the New York Times, NPR, any Google Alert, and many other news and data sources.
- *Social Media Sharing: Go to this instruction page to learn how to add Jetpack sharing buttons to your site.
- *Subscribe: Go to the subscriptions help page to learn how to enable others to subscribe to email notifications from your site; we recommend the third option (Better Follow Button for Jetpack).
- That’s all you need to do!
Submission requirements: Please make sure you have completed at least three of the six sharing options above, then in the submissions box list each and explain why you chose it and how you plan to use it in future. Also, attach a screenshot showing one of your three completed sharing options (e.g., an RSS feed on your site). This Skill will be approved by a student helper checking your submission, so make sure it’s fully complete.