It’s important to manage how you present yourself to others on the DS multisite. To do this, go to Edit My Profile under your name at the top right of the admin bar. While you may edit these settings whenever you want, you probably won’t need to do so after completing the initial setup. There are lots of options, but make sure to:
- Enter your first and last name, and select it under Display Name Publicly As so your name is next to your posts. (Depending on how you were signed up for the DS multisite, this may have already been done for you!)
- Complete the Biographical Info section with a brief (1-2 sentence) professional bio of your scholarly background and interests.
- (New!) Upload a user image or avatar (on the upper right of your profile). If you wish to use a WP.com gravatar, see below.
An important part of your profile is your avatar, which helps humanize your communications on the DS multisite. Your avatar is an image of you, displayed in various places on the DS site.
- For the vast majority of DS users, who login via their LC credentials and don’t have a WP.com account, go to the upper right of your Profile and add/edit your avatar there…easy!
- If you are a site admin and logging is via WP.com, you can use what’s called a gravatar, which will also display on other sites beyond ds.lclark.edu! The procedure for this is below.
Here’s how to get a gravatar if you login via WP.com:
- Go to WordPress.com and login, then click your avatar at the upper right. You’ll see your WP.com profile (which is different than your DS site profile). To the left you’ll see your avatar. Roll over it, and you’ll see “Update Profile Photo” as in the image at right.
- When you click to update your profile photo you’ll automatically be directed to the Gravatar site, where you can upload a new Gravatar or point to one you have online. Then you can crop it and etc. You’re done! (You may need to empty your browser cache to see your new image.)